Tuesday, October 28, 2008

Another Approach

Welcome to Carrotmob, another approach to focusing on climate change. I came across this from someone posting it on the CJSR listserv (which I still subscribe to just to keep in touch with what's happening at the station). Carrotmob uses the idea that sometimes it's better to use the carrot than the stick. You can check out what happens in the video below:



Carrotmob Makes It Rain from carrotmob on Vimeo.

This is an excellent idea; community, fun, and doing something you'd be doing anyway (spending some $$). It is not the solution, but it is certainly one of a constellation of solutions.And we need a constellation of solutions if we're to have any hope of saving ourselves.
We've been trained (mostly, I suspect, by the narrative needs of movies and television) to focus on the "one big solution" to our problems. If we only did whatever, that would save us all. But real world demands are diferent and much more complex. I can't change the oilsands, but I can change what I do. I can't change Stephen Harper's mind, but I can make a much bigger impact in the municipal elections we're about to go through in Greater Victoria. But we need everyone to make whatever difference they can to slow our greenhouse gas emissions. A carrotmob is one of those citizen-led things we can do to make a difference.

No comments: